About the Artist, Marty Shimkus
*PLEASE NOTE that Marty has moved! And I would like to take the time to say “Thank You” to all my past customers in the Chicagoland area for entrusting me with their trophies over the last two decades! THANK YOU!!! Marty has since grown Fish Specialties Taxidermy into one of the larger full-service Fish Taxidermy studios in the nation known for the highest quality in the industry. Now, with several artists supporting his team! Marty’s services include anything and everything to do with fish! Custom painted replicas and original skin mounts, restorations, custom habitats, freshwater/saltwater gamefish and exotics, along with fish taxidermy training. Marty has excelled in his field due to his compulsive attention to detail combined with his formal Art and painting background and professional taxidermy training by one of the best, Doug Petrousek. This combination of skill-sets and experience means that Marty can handle anything fish related and it also makes for one very picky Fish Artist!
- 20+ years successfully operating our full-time, full service, fish-only taxidermy studio out of our original Shorewood location.
- BA in Art and Education, Cornell College, 1985. Concentration in Drawing and Painting (air brush).
- Professionally Trained in the Art of Fish Taxidermy and all current preservation techniques.
- All Freshwater and Saltwater gamefish and many exotics.
- Replicas and Original Skin Mounts with hand-carved bodies.
- Custom habitats.
- Custom painting matched to your photos/specifications.
- No job is too big or too small. Marty has done everything from bluegills to muskies and sharks and sailfish and everything in-between!
- Fish Specialties Taxidermy Instructor and Training Coordinator.
Terms, pricing and method of payment at Marty’s Apple River, Illinois location:
Marty provides free pick-up and free delivery to his Apple River area customers. Please contact Marty for more information. He accepts cash, checks or money orders and all major credit cards. Payment in full is required at the time of your order for all replicas and restorations, 50% deposit required for original skin mounts, final balance due at delivery time. Current pricing is $20/inch for most Original Skin Mounts, $19/inch for most Freshwater Replicas, $21/inch for most Saltwater Replicas. First come, first served. All jobs performed in order once deposit/payment is received.
Current approximate turnaround time: Replicas 3-4 months, original skin mounts 8-10 months.